Friday, September 30, 2011

Midterm Checkpoint

Midterm Checkpoint
Wow!  I can’t believe we are already half way through the semester.  I must admit that I never thought that I would get to this point with work and the two graduate courses I am taking.  Now, only if I can make it the last half! J
What I have I learned this far?  This course has been extremely beneficial to me over the past few weeks.  I personally have never thought of myself as a creative person and still do not.  However, from our many readings and activities, I now realize the importance of creativity in schools and being creative does not necessarily mean being able to “create” something.  I have learned that a student’s creative ability can be demonstrated in numerous ways such as their ability to think critically, to actually create or design something, as well as the way they handle certain situations or problems. 
In order for our student’s to be able to compete in today’s job market, teachers, including myself, must think of more ways to bring creativity into our classrooms.  Students need to be challenged constantly to think outside the norm and formulate their own ideas.  I fear that too many educators believe that we should teach students that every problem has one single answer.  However, from our readings, I now understand that children should not learn this way.  They must be given the opportunity to see multiple outcomes in one problem. 
Surprises  Unfortunately, I have not had any surprises while examining my creativity.  I still understand that I am not the most creative person, but I do now understand the importance of helping my student’s understand that we ALL can be creative (yes, even me).  In our readings, I read that teachers and older adults must not give in to their lack of creativeness rather they should demonstrate that they as well have potential. 
How views changed?  I now believe that we are all capable of possessing some sort of creative skill.  Also, I have learned that no matter the material being presented, there is a way to bring creativity into everything.  Students should be encouraged daily to think outside the norm.  Curriculum should be designed to incorporate creativity into all units and lessons. 
Articles I enjoyed the article discussing “mental happenings.”  I found it extremely interesting that many famous writers, scientists, etc made discoveries and inventions through mysterious mental happenings.  I immediately told my students about a view of these different people.  I have also found the three Roeper Review journal articles to be extremely beneficial.  Many ideas and strategies were explained in the three articles that I have put to use in my classroom. 
Changes As I have previously stated, I am working on designing more and more lessons for my students that involve an aspect of creativity.  From my readings, I now understand there are multiple ways a students can demonstrate their creativity in all lessons.  Products do not necessarily have to be your traditional “poster” rather they can me the way a child answered a critical thinking question.  Also, I will now stop declaring to my students that I am not creative and give my students opportunities to see that they ALL can possess some sort of creative skills. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Mission accomplished because you've stopped proclaiming that you are not creative and have embraced the idea that creativity isn't a "product". I really appreciate that you share with your students and you are an excellent role model about a continuous learner. Keep going...the end of the semester is at least in sight :)

    ReplyDelete