Sunday, September 18, 2011

Coke Can Transformation


Coke Can Transformed into a Decorative Vase
How do you turn a Coke can into an object?  When I got this assignment, I immediately asked my friends, family and colleagues for any ideas and suggestions.  I received an array of responses from the North Carolina State Wolf (due to my family going to the game this weekend) to a container to be used for pencils, pens and scissors to a lady bug.  However, I did not chose any of these options.  
Today when I went to my sisters house to use her three year old’s craft box, my niece helped me come up with the idea to make a vase.  First, we went outside and picked the prettiest flowers we could see (her words exactly).  Then we went inside and began decorating.  We found a bag of fury balls that I knew we could use.  Therefore, we glued them to a green felt background.  Once we assembled the background we finished the vase by adding flowers.  
After assembling the vase with my three year old niece, being a teacher I knew I needed to make a connection to this assignment and the environment.  I explained the importance of recycling and how the vase we made was made from a recycled Coke can.  I hope this project was beneficial to her and taught her a lesson about recycling.  

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! What a great way to involve your niece and I appreciate the connection to recycling. This could also be used as a classroom lesson. Perhaps you could ask your students to begin collecting their empty cans and come up with a way to reuse them? I remember your unit on China in the spring- talking about limited space and reducing waste? Just an idea!

    PS- The pom poms give it just the right flair :)

    ReplyDelete