Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Characteristics of Creativity: My Grandfather

“Of all human activities, creativity comes closest to providing the fulfillment we all hope to get in our lives.  Call it full blast living.”  Mihaly Csikszentimihalyi
Before reading the article “The Creative Personality” by Mihaly Csikszentimihalyi I immediately thought of my grandfather and wondered if I was about to read an article exactly about him.  Sure enough, as I was reading about the 10 characteristics a creative person has, my grandfather possessed each of the qualities.  My grandfather passed away 5 years ago and was probably the most creative and talented person I have ever met.  My grandfather who I called Pa was an avid painter, decorator, musician, and always had great advice about how to handle all situations.   
  1. Creative people have a great deal of physical energy, but they’re also often quiet and at rest.  My Pa’s presence in a room was always calm and peaceful,however I always could see his mind churning.  If given a task, he would complete it to the fullest and not give up until it was completed with 100% accuracy. 
  2. Creative people tend to be smart yet naive at the same time.  This trait really explains my Pa.  He always acted as he wasn’t sure of what someone was talking about,however, he secretly did.  I believe it was his way of letting people get their point and wants across before he stepped in an gave his opinion and ideas. 
  3.  Creative people combine playfulness and discipline, or responsibility and irresponsibility.  My grandfather’s favorite past time was to play with his paintings.  Pa would go into his studio and create master pieces based on his thoughts, feelings and/or ideas.  Sometimes he would begin painting with no idea on the outcome while others he knew exactly what he wanted to create. 
  4. Creative people alternate between imagination and fantasy, and a rooted sense of reality.  As I mentioned previously, my Pa’s imagination really showed in his paintings.  However, Pa was able to create planned and organized mater pieces.  He also demonstrated his wonderful imagination through the stories who would tell my brother, sister and I.
  5.  Creative people tend to be both extroverted and introverted.  Sometimes I would go to my grandfather’s house and he would be in the best mood and want to get down and play with my siblings and I.  Other times he was extremely content being in his studio or sitting back and watching us play.
  6.  Creative people are humble and proud at the same time.  My Pa was the most humble man I know.  His artwork filled family and friends homes and he never let it show how proud he actually was.  However, I know he was extremely proud. 
  7. Creative people, to an extent, escape rigid gender role stereotyping.  My Pa was extremely artistic and often came across as very feminine.  However, he was happily married to my grandmother and did not let it bother him that he was often seen as different.  
  8. Creative people are both rebellious and conservative.  My Pa was very rebellious in his artwork demonstrated through his paintings.  However, he was extremely conservative in his actions and words. 
  9. Most creative people are very passionate about their work, yet they can be extremely objective about it as well.   Pa was very passionate about his paintings and decorating skills, however he was very open to criticism.  I often remember my grandmother telling him something she did not like and he was willing to listen to her point of view. 
  10. Creative people’s openness and sensitivity often exposes them to suffering and pain, yet also to a great deal of enjoyment.  Pa was a very sensitive man but willing to listen to criticism and open to changing his ways.  
My Pa was a very influential in my life.  It is amazing that he fell into the categories of all 10 characteristics.  I only hope to be half the man he was one day.  I am proud to say he was my grandfather and possess many of his paintings in my house today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment